[x] Main Menu

Main Pages

Forums & Pictures

Find Out

About Us

Surveys & Archive

Members options

Personal

Why to teach The Four Rules of Gun Safety to all children.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Political Economics

Is teaching gun safety as young as possible necessary?
No?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Dan
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Why to teach The Four Rules of Gun Safety to all children.
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am

1-6-2012 Every year we read about terrible gun accidents between young 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 year old children. Invariably they had not been taught how to respect and handle guns. Apparently ignoring a certain danger makes it go away. These accidents kill 500 children a year.

Given that there are 300 million guns that can be legally kept and borne by any of the free adult citizens in the USA. Given that this inalienable right to keep and bear arms to protect your person, property and country is guaranteed by the second amendment in our constitution and upheld by the Supreme Court, combined with similar amendments in many state constitutions, then we must conclude that guns are not going away any time soon. This constitutional framework shows that it is clearly negligent not to teach our children, starting as young as possible, that guns are dangerous and how they are to be handled. Here is how.

Children are curious, It as always best to have their natural curiosity about guns satisfied at a young age = starting in pre-school, that's when I was taught the four rules of gun safety by my parents:

1. Treat all guns as loaded. Show them one fired live.
They are very loud so make them wear ear plugs--big ones, that BANG really gets a child's attention after first putting on the ear covers. These actions combined with the adults formal carefulness at the gun range greatly increase a child's respect for guns.

2. Keep your finger off the trigger/out of the trigger guard.
Show them the trigger and how it works. Pulling it makes the BANG.

3. Never point the gun at something you are not willing to destroy/knockdown.
Above all children, don't point it at a person or animal.

4. Be aware of your target and what is beyond it.
When you are big enough you can learn how to shoot one if you want to, but until then be very careful. You don't want to hurt anyone do you?

Children can and do learn these rules by age four to six. Every time I hear about a young child accidentally killing another child with a gun, invariably that child has never been shown how they work and what not to do with one. That's the same as living in a desert with venomous snakes and not warning your children about them.

This failure to teach gun safety as young as possible is criminal negligence by parents, our politicians, and above all teachers. There is no excuse for this denial, especially by those of you who advocate that guns should be banned or regulated out of existence, when keeping and bearing guns can't be eliminated by constitution.

Longer term benefits:
1. Once all children have been so educated, then many more thousands of fatal gun accidents among adults will be eliminated over time.
2. Once the children learn, they will teach their parents respect for guns, reducing careless and criminal use by their parents.

We all have the inalienable right as a free person to protect our persons, family, and property against criminal force, and criminals are not going away anytime soon. The police don't and won't guard you even when someone threatens you. They tell you to go get a restraining order. Sometimes that does not work. Thus keeping a gun is a private choice, using it safely is a civic duty.

Education on safety and when a gun can be used for self defense are basic to reducing gun deaths in our country.

It is time both gun rights advocates and gun eliminators face the facts and agree on at least this first step towards reducing completely unnecessary accidental gun deaths. As far as I am concerned both sides show no respect for the facts on the ground. Lets get real and teach our children respect for what guns are and how to handle them safely.

[In addition to my parents teaching me gun safety, I was also taught by the USMC, I was a rifle range coach part of the time.]

Dan Alter

Last edited by Dan on Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dan
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Why not teaching Gun Safety to children is nuts.
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Posted in Americal Liberal Times in reply to Get Rid of Guns so called liberals.

"Everyone is entitled to self defense of person, family, children and property. The premise that you own your person is the foundation of liberalism. It is a fact that there are criminals with guns who do rob,invade homes etc.It is a fact that where the right to own semi automatic guns for self defense reduces home burglaries and attacks by well over ten times. The police by law, upheld by numerous court decisions will not and can not defend you.

My only conclusion about your statements is that you are 1. can not be a real liberal, and 2. that makes you a civic nut and apparent coward who refuses to defend your person, your children, and your neighbors from criminal assault. Not very nice.

Some facts: Automatic weapons have been banned in this country since the 1930s. Assault rifles are fancy semi automatic hunting rifles gussied up with a pistol handle. There are literally a 100 plus million 10 and 20 round magazines around. I would mandate only 100 rounders be sold because they very reliably jam within 4-5 rounds. Didn't know that did you?

Some suggestions. Why in God's name with 300 million guns around would we not insist our children by kindergarten be taught what guns are and how to treat them with respect, eliminating 500 accidental children deaths a year and untold accidental killings of adult gun idiots. I was before age 5. "Oh my God there are venomous snakes around, lets not tell the children." That is your level of thinking.

We do need gun safety education as early as possible.
We do need back ground checks.
We do need to know the role of Prozac etc in mass shootings.

We above all need non lethal knockdown rounds in guns in schools used to defend our children, unless you think that criminals and nuts are going to go away by keeping schools as holding pens for defenseless children.
But we do not need teachers or others armed with guns that shoot bullets, a 12 gauge with #7birdshot or rock salt, or better yet a load designed for minimal penetration and maximum stopping force. Once one of these crazies is knocked down, you can hit them again. If you miss and hit a child, you won't kill the child.

You so called progressives lack of realism astounds me. I think it results from your honest repulsion and fear of the gruesome damage and deaths guns are designed to cause, therefore get rid of guns and Voila, damages caused magically go away. Well criminals and guns are not going away.

A solution to your fears starts with what I propose above. Above all, I think, encouraging the use of non lethal rounds for self defense is fundamental. Creating the mindset of minimal non lethal force first is a big start in the right direction of minimizing gun casualties."

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Political Economics
Page 1 of 1