Main Pages

Forums & Pictures

Find Out

About Us

Surveys & Archive

Members options

Personal

Why Dan Alter Will Be a Good Captain For Our Disconnection
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index n1cl-1 Dan Alter's forum

Dan
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Why Dan Alter Will Be a Good Captain For Our Disconnection
Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:21 pm

2-20-18 edit

Small changes, there were two engine boys, one on each engine, nor one for both. I used my command voice, the repeater girl was too soft at first, she was eight years old, but at the end she really stepped up. Those kids really liked hot rodding that ship around in the beginning while we learned how to control it.

Since I am demanding complete control of our A-M debt disconnection, I must be able to show unambiguously that I am a good Captain in an "emergency" situation.

Good emergency leaders always share a common denominator. They have proven their leadership skills in tight spots in public. Citing private successes in emergencies is not enough, although I can. It must be a public demonstration.

I was only an E-3 in the Marines, I have never directed any large organization or been Captain of anything more than a 30' sailboat, and as a scientist, I have been forced to work alone so far.

(2-20-18 Building the List has been a true learning experience. Hiring, firing, getting people to want to work with you. Learning how the Law works, learning to be patient since a big operation takes more time to put all the pieces into place, before a battle can be won.
Finally, the devil is always in the details and knowing which details are crucial is crucial. Our successful disconnection at the end will depend on someone knowing which details are which, and how the crucial ones tell us how to adjust What We Do. So for better or worse, I am the person who has thought this through while the rest of you have been in denial.)

How could I possibly prove I could direct a "large ship in an emergency"?

God works in mysterious ways. I was given an opportunity to so show and rose to the occasion on July 3, 2009. Below are my Message Tree descriptions of this providential Public demonstration.

Dan: 04-Jul-2009 23:55:19
I had an extraordinary experience yesterday. We went to the Everett Naval Station and toured a frigate and then went to a simulator demonstration on docking a Destroyer. It turned out that, members of the public got to do the docking. The commander in charge of the simulator asked who wanted to be Officer On Deck?, I raised my hand, then he picked three 8-10 year olds who were respectively the Person Who repeats OOD helm orders, the helmsman, and the controller of the two engines. The helmsman and the engines controller were to repeat back the OOD's orders with an 'Aye Sir'. I have never docked a Destroyer before, although I have docked a 30' sailboat and motor boats many times.

We docked it from a 1000 yards out first crack out of the box. The Simulator Commander was Lieutenant Commander Daniel Straub said this had never happened before. In the context of what I am demanding, this opportunity to show my mettle in a command situation is miraculously providential. I explain how I did it in the Message above(here below), which I did not consciously realize, until afterwords. (7-05-09 I did not have time to think, I just did what needed to be done.)

Dan: 05-Jul-2009 00:23:15
Why could I dock a 510' US Naval Destroyer with only a two minute briefing on commands, first crack out of the box??:-- 1. I had an aiming point. Put the bow of my ship behind another Frigate.-- 2. I knew what my perfect sight picture was. Put my ship along the dock with its bow at the aiming point.-- 3. I knew and had done all steps needed to dock any size boat: A how plan.

First I took it out into the bay for a spin. Up to full speed and back to full stop, in a circle, full reverse etc, so my helmsman and engine controllers knew what to do. It handles like a corvette, then we took it back to our start point and slowly docked it.

On the final docking run, I went as slow as possible. I called out my orders loud and clear, and corrected and helped my Repeater. Absolutely crucial, I "steered small"; when I corrected back my first correction I used equal or smaller amounts until I had the right bearing since I had learned how fast the ship reacted to my commands(nice, very fast)---((7-5-09 Kudos to my five person crew, the four kids executed my commands on the button and of course, the repeater girl. Outstanding!!)).

When I did not know exactly how to do something like "How many engine rpms needed to slow down in reverse." I asked the Commander of the Simulator how to do it; then I ordered what he told me. I paid exact attention to the marker speeds for when to order changes in engine thrust and forward/reverse direction.

In short, Have an Aiming Point, know what outcome you want, and when you are Not Sure About How, ask someone who does.

I think this summary describes the essence of creating better scientific theory, and being a good commanding officer. Both are always adjusting their aim as conditions change while getting others to help them to achieve a common goal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index n1cl-1 Dan Alter's forum
Page 1 of 1